Saturday, May 22, 2010

Par for the Course


I didn't find the above geocache.  I just thought it was really cool.



Goecaching has replaced my normal walks for now.  The caches so far have been hidden close enough that I can walk to them and get my exercise.  It's so much more fun than going to the gym.  Temps here are already hot enough that I have to either go very early in the morning or late in the evening.  The sun set around two hours ago and it's still 77 degrees F with 86% humidity.  

My route this evening took me past the Houston Shell Open golf course.  You may have seen it on TV.  No, it's not called the Houston Shell Open, but that's where it's been played.  Click to enlarge the 9th hole photo to read about Mike Sullivan's history here.  

         

I searched for more than a half an hour for the first cache and didn't find it.  A previous visitor logged that we should bring a stick to retrieve this one because it's hidden in a scary spot for East Texas.  I beat around the underbrush in areas that looked like a good hiding spot where I wouldn't want to put my hands with no luck, and finally maked it DNF (did not find).  My GPS holds the 10 previous logs, but there are many more available online along with photos sometimes.  After reading them I think I have a better idea of where to search and what the cache looks like.  I'll go back and try again soon.


 

The next cache was another easy light pole find.  Again, it was hidden under the metal box covering the bolts.  That rubber spider jumped out at me as soon as I opened the pill bottle.  I've noticed in the logs that a lot of families are geocaching with their children  and decided I'm going to leave something in every one that I find, even if I don't take anything.  The only thing I had that was small enough was a couple of bandages.  When I was a kid, I loved Band-Aids.  I put them in.

 

Finally, I ended up beside this pond.  What a lovely picnic spot it would make.  My route often takes me past great spots like this.  I may have to start earlier and pack a lunch.  

It was getting too dark to search in a wooded area, so I had to mark this one DNF as well and head home.   
       

16 comments:

betty said...

that was a cool video with the greatest geocache; very clever where/how they hid that one. I would think stickers might be a cool thing to leave too? just a thought

I think I would be very careful out in some of those areas watching for bugs, spiders, and even perhaps the dreaded snake. Be safe

betty

Tempo said...

Hi Jen, I saw that cache on the website, awesome hide aint it?! Im glad youre having such fun..its freezing here today (about 50)raining and windy..wish I could go outside for a walk...

Rachel Cotterill said...

I keep meaning to have a go at geocaching... that looks fun!

Brian Miller said...

that vid is really cool. someone put a lot of time and effort into that one. sneaky sneaky...i hate to imagine where i would not put my hand...lol.

gayle said...

Geocaching looks like so much fun! I have heard of it before but don't remember where. Look forward to reading more about your finds!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Cool doesn't come into it, want a wonderful place (to hide your spare keys?)

jack69 said...

Sounds like you have found an excellent prompt to exercise. I love the walks outside and the feeling of openness. Keep it up!

This will sure augment all your other exercises and interests.

Lucy said...

It sounds like you have made a good and happy life. Enjoy every minute of it and I just bet you do. We have the air on. Can deal with most things but not the hear and humidity.

Vince said...

For the life of me I do not understand the point of giving praise to O'Sullivan only to in the very next line subtract about 40% of it.
The thing reads 'Wow, you did good, but really not all that good'. There was definitely people on that committee that did not like him over much.
Just wondering about that GPS, how are you being billed for its use.
I do like the idea of Band-Aids for the kids.

buffalodick said...

Sounds like you're having a good time and getting exercise!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like fun...I wish they would do that here. At least I never heard of them doing it.

It is getting hot here too...but no humidity...

A Lady's Life said...

wow its so much fun finding things like this lol
I often see people walking with metal detectors on the beach They must find very interesting things.
:)

Full-On-Forward said...

That faucet Geochache is out there! I loved it and thanks as always for sharing!

John

Kelly said...

I love that clip with the fun geocache!

Your last photo is gorgeous.

Minka said...

I found out about geocaching on your blog - I must try to fond some caches one of these days ...

Jen said...

There is no service fee for the GPS signal. I did sign up for the premium membership on geocaching.com, but it's only 30 dollars a year and it's not required. You can get the coordinates to the caches with a free membership.

Post a Comment