Friday, July 30, 2010

First Swim


pool_2-25-09_152, originally uploaded by pmsswim.
Image from Flickr.

I survived my first swimming workout. It's the first time I've tried to swim laps in a pool in more than 10 years. This used to be so easy when I was a kid. Now I'm just happy I didn't drown.

It took me thirty minutes to adjust my swim goggles so they didn't leak. No wonder they say no new equipment on race day. That would have been a disaster. They were advertised as fog-free, but they fogged. Once in Hawaii, a local told me to clean my new snorkel mask with toothpaste and that would help prevent it. I'm going to try that and see if it helps.

I did make it across the length of the pool, but I need to work on my breathing. On my first lap, I had to actually stop swimming, tread water, and breathe a couple of times. The next two laps were better, but far from perfect. I got very tired but my muscles are not sore today, so once I get my breathing down I think I'll be okay. I'm considering hiring a coach for at least a couple of workouts.

15 comments:

Brian Miller said...

swimming can be quite the work out...good job not drowning...smiles.

Liz Mays said...

I heard saliva will help prevent them from fogging too. Give em a good spit!

jack69 said...

ho ho ho ho, Yep the work out will definitely find those muscles you haven't used in awhile. Keep it up and good luck! I used to think I could swim the ocean, now now sure about a lap!

Bernie said...

So happy for you. I think its major to make the decision and follow it through...great
discipline Jen. Cheering for you from Canada.
.......:-) Hugs

Kelly said...

Swimming is such great exercise!! This was only the second summer of my entire life that I didnt' swim a single time. I could literally swim before I could walk!

Anonymous said...

We're all right there behind you, and deep in admiration too. Keep on keepin' on!

All the best, Boonsong

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Swimming is such a great workout, but it is hard! I do love the water, though. Hope you have a great weekend.

Margaret Benbow said...

Hey, the hardest part (the first swimming workout) is over. Now you'll just keep getting stronger and enjoying the swim more
every day!

Weasel said...

I haven't gone swimming in years. Great post!

-Weasel

gayle said...

Wow!! This is so amazing!! I have to get up and start being more active!!

Sheri said...

congrats on surviving !! i had to chuckle when i was reading that you had 'been a swimmer as a kid, so, why is this so rough?'...i often wondered how i would look and i've decided not to try ;)jk!
really glad that you're out there and willing to do what it takes :)
thanks so much for the reminder you left in your comment on my blog :)
take care, jen!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love the image,
it is dynamic and fun!
your post set readers on motion, which is remarkable!

Carolynn Anctil said...

The swimming portion of the triathalon has always been the part I dread most. All those feet kicking inches away from my face. Puts me in mind of shark feeding frenzies.

.....Okay. I actually dread the running and the biking parts too. That's why I will never do a triathalon.

I'm a very good cheerleader though.

A little spit on the inside of googles usually works really well to keep them from fogging up.

I think it's a brilliant idea to get a couple of coaching tips. One or two suggestions may make all the difference for you.

sage said...

I love to swim laps, but hate the chlorine, so I don't do it as much as I use to... I wonder if I could still do a mile?

Heather said...

I wish I had a pool, I used to love the water. It's been soo long, I think I might have forgotten how to swim! LOL!
There just doesn't seem to be anything you can't do!

Post a Comment